This page shows individual project sessions, webinars, and workshops.
Collaborative sessions at major conferences etc. are listed separately, with more detail and links to session outputs.
Upcoming Cluster project events
- ESA Polar Science Cluster Collation Meeting September 15-17
The ESA Polar Science Cluster involves a set of different ESA-funded scientific activities addressing different aspects of Polar research. Through this set of projects ESA aims at working hand by hand with the scientific community to:
- Improve our observation capacity over Polar regions and contribute to develop the next generation of Polar observations from space;
- Enhance the basic scientific understanding of the different processes governing Polar changes and their regional and global impacts;
- Contributing to translate new knowledge and scientific results into actionable solutions for society.
The ESA Polar Science Cluster is supported by a number of research opportunities and networking actions promoting collaborative research, and fostering European and international scientific collaboration, especially with EC funded activities within the context of the joint EC-ESA Earth System Science Initiative.
The purpose of this meeting is to review the latest developments and results of the different projects, present the new projects recently kicked off and discuss with you the potential scientific priorities for the future. In particular, we would like to review the results of the EC-ESA Polar Science Week and define with you a set of collective goals and a way forward for 2023+.
More information, results and the complete set of projects is provided in the dedicated web site
Please access the ConfTool system, create an user account and proceed by registering to participate HEREThe preliminary meeting Agenda is available for your information HERE
- Call for Extracts: Arctic Frontiers Science Meeting 31 January- 4th February 2022. We are happy to announce that the Call for Abstracts is out! The sessions are:
- Pan-Arctic Infrastructure Development
- Food from the Ocean and Ocean Science for Sustainable Development – Bridging the UN Decades
- Arctic Coasts in Transition
- The Arctic, ocean conflicts, and pathways to sustainability
- Experiences from the science-policy interface in the Arctic
- DEADLINE FOR ABSTRACTS: 21st SEPTEMBER 2021 - Submit your abstract here.
Blue Action: Multi-annual to Decadal Climate Predictability in the North Atlantic-Arctic Sector. 20th - 22nd September 2021. The workshop aims to foster scientific exchanges and collaborations on multi-annual to decadal climate predictability, including research on: climate predictability from interannual to multi-decadal timescales and our understanding of the associated physical processes and their representation by models, improvement of dynamical prediction systems, and increasing need for actionable information dependent on skillful climate predictions. Keynote speakers (including both prominent and promising scientists) have already confirmed their participation. More info: flyer and on the web page. Organisers: EU H2020 Blue-Action, TMS Bjerknes Climate Prediction Unit, JPI Climate-Oceans ROADMAP project and the CLIVAR Atlantic Region Panel, CLIVAR/CliC Northern Oceans Region Panel and CLIVAR Climate Dynamics Panel. The workshop is also linked to the EU Climate Modelling Cluster, established by EASME/EC in 20218. Location: we are aiming for a hybrid format, with physical location in either Bergen (Norway) or Copenhagen (Denmark). A decision will be taken in June.
- International ONLINE Conference for Young MArine REsearchers (ICYMARE): A conference designed by and for young marine researchers. ICYMARE stands for “International Conference for YOUNG Marine Researchers”: www.icymare.com. Further details can be found on the event flyer here. 21st - 24th September 2021.
- HERMOSA workshop: 5 - 6th October 2021. Interested in atmospheric aerosol sampling, analysis and data handling and working in Svalbard? Then you should check out this upcoming workshop, aiming to harmonise and integrate relevant research activities: https://sios-svalbard.org/HERMOSAworkshop
Past Cluster project events
Kick-Off Meeting for the Southern Ocean UN Decade: Friday 9th July 2021 - Following the publication of our report on Southern Ocean priorities for the next 10 years, we are pleased to announce that the Southern Ocean Task Force will be hosting a Kick-off meeting for the Southern Ocean UN Decade online.This webinar will gather speakers from the Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission (IOC) of UNESCO and members of the Southern Ocean Task Force.
How to apply for an EU-PolarNet 2 Service Contract: Webinar: EU-PolarNet 2 seeks support from the European Polar Community to develop ideas for concrete research activities. For this purpose, EU-PolarNet 2 will open a Call for Services on July 1st, 2021. On July 7th 2021, 13:00 CET we will hold a 90-minure webinar to present the following aspects of the Call for Services:
- KEPLER Final General Assembly on Monday 21st June 2021. Do please join us to discuss the recommendations and output of the KEPLER project. (Monday open to all + evening virtual drinks/networking. Tuesday is for KEPLER participants only). Please register here. KEPLER Final General Assembly Programme.
- The EU’s Arctic influence: Presentation of a report on the EU actions affecting the Arctic: The seminar will present a report prepared in relation to the project “Overview of EU actions in the Arctic and their impact”. The study considers a broad range of ways in which EU policies affect the Arctic and influence the EU’s environmental footprint and economic presence in the region. During the study the EU’s environmental and economic Arctic impact has been considered, relevant policies have been identified and analysed as well as policy options for strengthening the EU Arctic approach have been proposed. The report has been written by a team of experts led by Prof. Timo Koivurova. The seminar will include the presentation of the study, commentaries from Arctic stakeholders as well as insights into the current stage of developing the new EU’s policy towards the Arctic, to which the report is to contribute. In order to register for the Seminar please enter the below link, click "Arctic Register Form" fill the data required and click "REGISTER": https://eprd.pl/en/arctic/arctic-seminar/
- SIOS Earth Observation and Remote Sensing for the online conference. More information: https://sios-svalbard.org/RS_ 8th - 10thJune 2021.
- EPB ASM3 webinar series: Closing webinar - Post-Ministerial Review: Joint Statement and Actions 09 June 2021, 13:00-15:00 UTC
- An anchor point to a drifting world: is going to be about terrestrial research in Svalbard. Join us to learn about current research on terrestrial biology in Svalbard as well as knowledge gaps. For more details on the programme and registration, visit our webpage. 7th May.
- Women Communicating Arctic Science Gender in Transdisciplinary Research (Part of 'Breaking the Ice Ceiling' webinar series): 6th May, 5-6pm BST. Learn about the heart & sense dilemma women face in science communication & the role gender plays in transdisiplinary research. For further details and to register click here.
- ARCSAR: The 3rd ARCSAR Innovation and knowledge exchange event and 2nd ARCSAR dissemination workshop hosted by Nord University and Lapland University of Applied Sciences. The event will take place 5th May, 13.00-16.30 CEST (UTC +2). The event will be held digitally and starts with the 2nd ARCSAR dissemination workshop aimed at promoting the project activities and proceeds with the 3rd ARCSAR Innovation and Knowledge Exchange Event with a focus on “Training for innovations and innovations for training in the Arctic and North Atlantic”. To register, click here.
- The International Polar Tourism Research Network Welcomes the ProAct Team 15th April
- ARICE Online Technical training: 30th March - 14th April 2021 https://www.apecs.is/research/apecs-projects/arice/online-technical-training.html
- EPB ASM3 webinar 5: Theme 3, Respond: Sustainable development; Evaluation of vulnerability and resilience; Application of knowledge
17 March 2021, 13:00-15:00 UTC
- ARICE technical training with APECS https://apecs.is/research/apecs-projects/arice/online-technical-training.html
- EPB ASM3 webinar 6: Theme 4, Strengthen: Capacity building; Education; Networking; Resilience – prepare the next generation
07 April 2021, 13:00-15:00 UTC
- Open Day for the NERC Arctic Station on Thursday 25 February: The session will highlighted the rapid environmental changes in and around Svalbard; the support provided by the Station, including new for this season ROV & AUV and lots of other marine and lab kit; and the latest developments and funding opportunities. Full details and registration: https://www.arctic.ac.uk/news/nerc-arctic-station-day-2021-registration-now-open/
- KEPLER training: online workshop for students and early career scientists 17-18th February 2021. The Horizon 2020 funded project 'Key Environmental monitoring for Polar Latitudes and European Readiness' (KEPLER) hosted an online workshop for students and Early Career Scientists. https://kepler-polar.eu/2021/02/15/kepler-ecr-workshop/
- SO-CHIC webinar: Ocean variabilities in the Southern Weddell Sea 13:00 UTC on Wednesday 27th January.
- EPB ASM3 webinar 3: Theme 1, Observe: Observing networks; Data sharing – towards implementation 20 January 2021, 13:00-15:00 UTC
- EPB ASM3 webinar 4: Theme 2, Understand: Enhance understanding and prediction capability on Arctic environmental and social systems and its global impact 17 February 2021, 13:00-15:00 UTC
- The 2020 EU Polar Cluster meeting will be held as part of the European Polar Science Week on the 27th October 2020, online, in collaboration with ESA - http://eo4polar.esa.int/
- EGU General Assembly 2020 - Vienna, Austria 3th - 8th May 2020.
- APPLICATE splinter session 5th May, 10:45 - 12:30, room 2.17 (SMP37)
- European Polar Board, EPB, Spring Plenary meeting, Sofia, Bulgaria 23rd - 24th of April, 2020.
- 5th Joint Arctic SAR Workshop and TTX. Hveragerði, Iceland, 15th - 16th April. https://www.aeco.no/events/joint-arctic-sar-workshop-and-ttx/
- ASSW (Arctic Science Summit Week) 28 March - 30 March 2020
- EPP, ARICE, APPLICATE, EUPolarNet involved in sessions
- Arctic Observing Summit, Iceland, 31st March - 2nd April 2020
- INTAROS involved in preparatory work
- KEPLER submitted side session
- Arctic Frontiers Tromso, Norway, 26th-30th January 2020